Friday, August 21, 2009

Elburn IL. Tornado Damage Survey 8.19.09

I visited the reported area where the Tornado touched down. At this point I was positive that it was not a tornado but a microburst or straight line winds. I spoke with the home owners who were working with their insurance company trying to sort out things. They were gracious enough to allow me to walk throughout their property and take photos.

After viewing the damage I will admit it had a damage path that clearly resembled a tornado rather than straight line winds. The national weather center also confirmed there was two tornadoes. They had aerial view of the damage path the extended 40 yards wide and produced winds up to 105MPH. I am a little saddened that a tornado was so close to home and I was not there before this home was hit. I may have been able to provide further advanced warnings compared to the few mins. he had to get his kids to the basement.

Also as to yesterdays blog....In Huntley IL. there is video of a funnel cloud, so I stand corrected once again. There was a lot I learned from this chase, neither one of these storms showed any indication of a tornado, however it seems within the 5min. loop of radar this storms produced and I was unable to view it. Also I typically stick to radar, however again I realize now I need to expand to other options of GR3 to view different types of storms to see more clearly as to what may be going on......
Here are the paths the tornadoes took:

These photos were taken by the EF1 on the lower left side of the photo. As the tornado passed over RT 47 it passed over two homes. The photos below were taken from the home on the SE side of the tornado, which had larger damage.

No comments:

Post a Comment